The Royal Bank of Canada is the largest financier of fossil fuel projects in Canada, and the fifth largest in the world. RBC has loaned over $200B to new fossil fuel projects since the Paris agreement was signed in 2016.
This protest had five goals:
- Stop financing all new fossil fuel projects immediately.
- Develop a plan for the withdrawal of financing to existing funded projects.
- Increase the financing of renewables.
- Cancel financial support of the Coastal Gaslink.
- Respect the free, prior, and informed consent of Indigenous peoples.