Education, Activism, Personal Action, Links
1. It’s warming
2. It’s us
3. We’re sure
4. It’s bad
5. We can fix it
Kim Nicholas – climate scientist.
- Recent / News
- Sir David Attenborough: Breaking Boundaries – The Science of Our Planet
- Inspiring Al Gore TED Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/al_gore_how_to_make_radical_climate_action_the_new_normal
- Just Have Another Think: COP 26 Key Priorities
- Fully Charged: Stop Burning Stuff
Globally, fossil fuel subsidies were $5.9 trillion in 2020 . This is 11 Million US dollars per minute! Canada subsidizes fossil fuels at the rate of $9 Million (CDN) per hour. Source: International Monetary Fund Working Paper No. 2021/236.
- Just Have a Think – the climate and sustainable energy channel
- Fully Charged Show – the world’s no. 1 clean energy and electric vehicle channel
- Transport Evolved – the world of cleaner, greener, safer, and smarter transport
- E for Electric – the world of electric cars
- Not Just Bikes – Stories of great urban planning
- Undecided – electric vehicles, solar panels, and renewable energy… to transition off of fossil fuels. Smart home technology…
- Green Economy Heroes – Dianne Saxe podcast teasers
The WMO (World Meteorological Organization) report found that “economic losses related to weather, climate and water extremes have increased ten-fold over the past 50 years” in the North America, Central America and Caribbean region”.
“If you really think that the environment is less important than the economy, try holding your breath while you count your money.” Guy McPherson
- Climate Science
- A Skeptical Look at Climate Science – Excellent – YouTube Video
- Drawdown – Book & Website outlining “the most comprehensive plan ever proposed to reverse global warming”.
Jennifer Granholm, United States Energy Secretary rejects the status quo on climate policy and pointed out that too many people say that ambitious targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions can’t be reached. “Climate disasters worldwide tell us that the scariest thing we could do is nothing at all. Let’s prove we can meet this moment.”
- Active Transportation
- Why the Dutch Wait Less at Traffic Lights (Not Just Bikes YouTube video)
- Why Canadians Can’t Bike in the Winter (but Finnish people can) – (Not Just Bikes YouTube video)
“I want you to act as if the house is on fire, because it is.” Greta Thunberg
- Canadian / Local Climate Action
- Seth Klein
- Mobilization: Climate Emergency Unit
- Environmental Defense – Defending clean water, a safe climate,
and healthy communities
- 350 Kingston – a group of Kingston area citizens committed to taking action on climate change
- LeadNow – Leadnow is a people-powered movement fighting for a better Canada (Healthy Environment; Just Society; Fair Economy; Open Democracy)
From the CBC (Article here): “Canadian fossil fuel producers receive more public financial support than any others in the developed world, according to a new analysis.” “On average, the report finds G20 countries provided about 2.5 times more support for fossil fuels than renewables. In Canada, the ratio is 14.5.“
- Gavin’s Favourites:
- https://cleantechnica.com/ This is my good news site because it covers EV’s, battery development and some solar and wind.
- https://insideclimatenews.org/ This site produces some very revealing indepth stories and good climate inaction reporting.
- https://www.dailyclimate.org/ Another site covering climate inaction well, some solutions stories.
- In my inbox I subscribe to nationalobserver.com newsletter, The Energy Mix newsletter at https://www.theenergymix.com/, and The Guardian First Thing newsletter.
- Kingston Residents – Personal Actions
- Become informed on the climate emergency
- Advocacy to all levels of government (and businesses) for BOLD climate action – mandate switch to non fossil fuel cars and trucks, stop subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, building standards, electrification of public transit, reduction of disposable plastics,…
- Buying / leasing an electric vehicle
- Eat less meat, grow some of your food, reduce food waste
- Purchase green energy – e.g. Bullfrog Electricity and Renewable Natural Gas
- Home efficiency
- Deep retrofits to reduce energy demands
- Heating system upgrades – heat pumps (air / ground geoexchange)
- Energy efficient appliances – heat pump water heaters, heat pump clothes dryers, drain water heat recovery
- Rooftop solar
- Switch to LED lights, diligently turn off lights not in use, use power bars or unplug chargers, etc. to reduce phantom loads, make your next computer a laptop (more energy efficient).
- Green Investing, advocacy for pension funds, pressuring banks to divest from fossil fuels.
- Fly less
- Offset flights, driving, home heating, etc.
- Buy less stuff, buy second hand, fix vs replace
- Support education of girls, family planning worldwide